Location: Operating from Fort Blockhouse, Gosport, Hampshire, UK
Contract: Full Time, permanent
Salary: Competitive £38,000 to £40,000
Closing Date: 18 February 2024
Are you an experienced square-rig sailing vessel master looking for a new opportunity?
The Marine Society & Sea Cadets (MSSC) is a vibrant and growing charity delivering life changing nautical adventure for young people through the Sea Cadets to give them the best possible head start in life. We also provide personal and professional development opportunities for seafarers with the Marine Society. Working with our staff, cadets, and volunteers, we have built a vision and five-year strategy to take us forward and further improve the astounding contribution already made through our work to the lives of thousands of young people and seafarers, while fully supporting our volunteers who are vital to our success.
We are currently looking for an energetic Commanding Officer to join our team.
About the role
TS Royalist acts as the Flagship for the Marine Society and Sea Cadets. The key responsibilities and tasks of the Commanding Officer are to be responsible for all activity onboard the vessel, deliver a varied and exciting Sea Cadet experience, and promote the work of the MSSC and the Sea Cadet Corps.
Applicants should have the requisite square-rig sailing experience, including time in command, and hold an Offshore Yachtmaster (Sail) qualification, commercially endorsed, or Merchant Navy equivalent. They should also either hold or be capable of holding a current Seafarer Medical Certificate. The ability to work effectively with young people as well as the permanent and relief crew members is essential. Ship system familiarisation, child safeguarding and any necessary sea safety course refresher training will be given to the successful applicant.
The particular demands of seagoing employment require the incumbent to be available for duty for prolonged periods and working hours necessarily need to be very flexible. Although overtime will not be recognised, the working and rest hours for this role will be within the confines of the terms of the Maritime Labour Convention 2006. The uncertain nature of the working hours are recognised by the holiday arrangements afforded.
- Command the 35m TS Royalist and all personnel embarked on board.
- Deliver life-changing 6-day voyages around the UK and near continent for 24 young people per week.
- Ensure the mandated crewing of vessels are maintain working with the support office to manage, appraise, permanent and relief crew, agree leave patterns and educate understudy personnel to maintain an appropriately trained relief crew(s).
- Safe navigation of the vessel.
- Execute the directed programme, delivering interesting, innovative and fun weekly voyages for embarked cadets.
- Stand deck watches 1-in-2 with Sailing Master when at sea.
- Responsible for the safety, discipline, morale, welfare and day-to-day employment of permanent crew members and embarked personnel.
- Advise on Merchant Shipping Regulations and other statutory regulations in so far as they apply to TS ROYALIST.
- Oversee the onboard Planned Maintenance through use of an electronic system.
- Yachtmaster Offshore (Sail) with commercial endorsement (or Merchant Navy equivalent CofC).
- Ship-handling experience to command a 35m square-rigged Brig.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide range of personnel from young cadet to visiting VIPs.
- Strong management and leadership skills and ability to direct ships staff with clarity and in a positive manner.
- Ability to hold and maintain an Offshore Medical Certificate (ENG1).
- Ability to manage onboard team of permanent and relief staff.
- Ability to perform effectively when under pressure, meet deadlines and make clear and safe decisions.
- Computer literate – good working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
For further information, please download the Recruitment Pack.
- 104 days annual leave per annum (84 days during the sailing season, 20 working days during winter months).
- Life assurance (4x salary) for those that join the pension.
- Private medical insurance.
- Pension (employer contribution up to 10%).
- Wellbeing portal and EAP with 121 counselling.
- Employee development: We are investing in our employees’ development and have an annual calendar of learning and development opportunities, designed to support employees to develop into their roles and stretch them to achieve their full potential.
- National staff conference: All employees come together once a year to reflect on the past year and celebrate success at our offsite staff conference. This is a great opportunity to listen to employees’ views, and for employees to network, share information and socialise.
If you are interested in becoming the next Commanding Officer of TS Royalist, please apply here: Commanding Officer / Master – TS Royalist – MSSC (workable.com)