Join our team on Ocean Spirit for the 2024 season
Gordonstoun Sail Training are recruiting Watch Leaders to help deliver their Sail Training programme between April and October 2024 from their base in Plockton on the West Coast of Scotland. As well as their weekly Sail Training Voyages for Gordonstoun students, the 2024 season includes an extended summer voyage to Lofoton and Spitsbergen in the Arctic.
You will need a RYA Day Skipper or Watch Leader Certificate, a First Aid qualification and the MCA ENG1 Certificate of Medical Fitness. Experience in a position of responsibility on board Sail Training vessels over 20m is essential. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate excellent leadership and communication skills and a personal commitment to the outcomes of Sail Training.
A generous reward package includes a pro-rata salary of £20,670.00 p/a, subsidised accommodation and free meals on the school campus during non-sailing periods, a working rota of 3:1 and paid holiday leave.
If you think that you are ideal for the role and are keen to find out more about this exciting opportunity please contact the Sail Training Coordinator Ian Lerner [email protected] or apply here www.gordonstoun.org.uk/vacancies/watch-leader-seasonal-ftc
Deadline for applications is 28th February 2024.
Major responsibilities of the role:
- Assisting the Skipper and First Mate with running the vessel, normally taking charge of and leading a watch of five or six trainees under the supervision of a senior staff member.
- Ensuring that safety procedures set out in the vessel’s Safety Management System are adhered to.
- Instructing and supervising Trainees in all aspects of the voyage including deck work, watch keeping, seamanship and domestic duties.
- Acting on their own initiative to build a positive working relationship with Trainees in order to help achieve the objectives of the voyage.
- Keeping a watch at sea with support from the Skipper or First Mate.
- Leading deck work tasks including hoisting, lowering and reefing sails.
- Assisting with the day to day maintenance of the vessel.
- Supervising shore leave when required.
- Supervising the crew on transport when travelling between Gordonstoun and the boat.