Seas Your Future are looking for new Trustees to add to their board of six.
‘Seas Your Future ae a small, not-for-profit youth development charity that is passionate about improving the lives of young people through an alternative learning experience. We are expanding our sail training offer with an exciting programme of activities including ocean science and maritime careers and are seeking at least two new trustees to extend the range of skills and experience on our current board of six.
Trustees are responsible for the governance and strategic direction of the charity and ensuring best practice in areas such as finance, risk management and performance. Our board meets at least quarterly, sometimes face to face and sometimes remotely via video call. All trustees are also members of one of two trustee subcommittees which also meet quarterly, between board meetings. We are a friendly team who work together to deliver our vision and five-year Development Plan (which can be downloaded from our website) published in July 2020 and updated in May 2022.
Following a skills audit of our board we are keen to recruit new trustees with the following experience:
- Sail Training
- Maritime sector
- Education (particularly higher, further, and educational development)
- Finance and accounting
If you are inspired by our vision, want to be part of shaping the future of Seas Your Future and can offer relevant experience, time and commitment, please apply to join us!
We meet our core objectives through:
- Sail Training, enabling young people to discover their abilities, values, passions and responsibilities in situations that offer adventure, challenge and the unexpected.
- Unique Maritime Careers opportunities to learn about life on-board, safety at sea, seamanship, navigation, engineering, teamwork and much more.
- Voyages for studying Ocean Science, changes to the marine environment and climate, to young people who care passionately about safeguarding the planet.
- Ensuring that voyages are open to all young people by seeking to subsidise costs for those that cannot pay.
- Expanding sail training capacity and specialist voyages over the next five years, to meet increasing demand.
Our tall ship Pelican has berth capacity for up to 35 trainees and 12 crew and volunteers, and our tall ship Fridtjof Nansen has berth capacity for up to 42 trainees and 13 crew and volunteers. We have been undertaking sail training voyages since 2007. We aim to sail for 48 weeks every year and our sailing programme is normally agreed 12-24 months in advance. We work in strategic partnership with charities and community organisations, education providers, vocational trainers, port authorities and local councils, to offer a unique and life-changing experience to all who sail with us. With our recently acquired second ship we are expanding our sail training offer with an exciting programme of activities including ocean science and maritime careers and are seeking at least two new trustees to extend the range of skills and experience on our current board of six.’
email [email protected] by the end of August.
Further details available on Seas Your Future website.