Job Title: Skipper – Full time employed. Freelance / short term options may be available.
Reporting to: Board of Trustees
Salary: up to £30,000 dependent upon experience and qualifications.
Annual Leave: Leave of one week in five during the sailing season, plus annual holidays. One month’s unpaid leave over the winter. i.e. an eleven-month but permanent contract.
An exciting role aboard the 100 Ton 77ft historic gaff ketch Excelsior operating out of Lowestoft. This historic vessel undertakes voyages with young people onboard as well as daysails for individuals and groups. Her sailing season is usually March-October. Out of season Excelsior undergoes maintenance and refit and your role will also involve learning and applying traditional skills to this historic vessel alongside the relief skipper.
• The safe handling and navigation of EXCELSIOR while complying with statutory provisions and in accordance with her Load Line Exemption Certificate (Coding).
• Ensuring that all activities are carried out in accordance with the Trust’s Safety and Operating Procedures as set out in our Safety Management System and in compliance with the Trust’s adopted Policies. Helping to improve these.
• Leading and supervising the regular crew and any relief crew and volunteers
• Looking after the welfare of clients, crew, volunteers, and trainees, including morale and discipline
• Managing working hours, crew leave, and crew reliefs.
• Helping young people from diverse backgrounds: to achieve RYA qualifications; to achieve DofE Gold Residential awards; to undertake the National Historic Ships’ Shipshape Heritage Training Programme; to work through the Excelsior Trust’s in-house Training passport; to take part in our young person’s Charting your Destiny programme; and to develop their life skills.
• Helping to find new crew, volunteers and clients
• Training and upskilling existing crew, volunteers and trainees by encouraging professional development, and the use of the Excelsior Trust’s in-house training prospectus
• The skipper must be prepared to improve his or her personal qualifications and to undertake training or courses to continue their personal development.
• Operating the vessel within budget and following the Trust’s financial and purchasing procedures
• Maintaining paperwork
• Helping with marketing and planning future operations
• Representing the Trust, championing the brand and raising our profile
• Being professional, and acting with tact and diplomacy at all times (both on and off the vessel) while remaining commercially & personally sensitive and sober
The above description is not intended to be comprehensive, but the post-holder will be expected to be flexible in carrying out tasks that relate to the job.
Support: The Council of Management (Board) have a wide range of expertise to draw on. There are regular crew and volunteers at varying stages in developing their ability to work and look after Excelsior. There are adopted policies for guidance to help deliver the Trust’s aims. The operational information and maintenance work necessary is set out in our detailed Safety Management System, and the Marine Superintendent and naval architect are available for guidance and technical support.
Minimum qualifications and experience:
• RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (Sailing) with Commercial Endorsement, or equivalent
• Experience of sail training industry
• RYA Yachtmaster Ocean (Sailing) with STCWC endorsement
• Powerboat Level 2
• RYA Cruising Instructor
• MCA Proficiency in Medical Care Aboard Ship
• Long-Range Radio certificate
• Attended Diesel Engine Course
• Food Hygiene Level 2
• At least 2 years as Skipper
• Experience of traditionally rigged vessels
• Experienced at working with disadvantaged young people
• Competent in Excel and Word documents
• Good leadership skills, a positive role-model, and ability to lead in a positive way
• Energetic, enthusiastic, hands-on, and willing to work hard
• Passionate about helping young people
• A passion for historic vessels
• A strong awareness of marine environmental issues
• A team player
• Good communication skills both verbal and written
How to apply: Please email your CV and a covering letter stating why you think you are suitable for the role and the contact details of two referees to [email protected].