Mate on Pegasus
Relief Mate across The Island Trust fleet
Closing date 30 October 2021
‘A GREAT OPPORTUNITY to further your professional sailing career with one of the foremost youth sail training providers in the UK. We are seeking two sailing professionals to join our team of sea and land-based staff – a First Mate for gaff-rigged pilot cutter Pegasus and a First Mate to work across all three vessels of our sail training fleet.
The Island Trust provides life-enhancing, residential and day-sailing activities for young people with special needs, disabilities, and those experiencing hardship and deprivation. We award disadvantaged young people the opportunity to not only widen their horizons but also develop their skills and capabilities through the joy and challenge of learning to sail.
Voyages range from youth residential sail training weeks for groups and individuals and day sailing for profoundly disabled young people, to a small number of commercial adult RYA courses and voyages.
Visit our website for more information and how to apply:
The positions are full-time – November 2021 to November 2022 with the possibility of extending.
During the sailing season, you will
- Principally be required to be 1st Mate on Pegasus / 1st Mate across all three vessels, although you may be required to work on any other vessel of the Company.
- Assist the skipper with school and youth group charters as well as charters for teenagers and adults.
- Undertake charters that will vary in duration and destination.
- Support and assist the Skipper with their responsibilities.
- Take over from the Skipper should they be incapacitated.
- Assist with maintenance.
- Assist the Skipper in decision making and planning.
- Accept delegated responsibilities both in harbour and on passage.
- Assist the Skipper in keeping the boat and all on board safe.
- Act as watch officer whilst on passage.
- Prepare for the arrival of the charterers.
- Work with the charterers collectively or individually in pursuit of their objectives, including attending to the needs of customers whilst on board.
- Work in accordance with our Safety Management System.
- Promote the work of the Trust through:
- Taking participant promotional photographs and video during a voyage;
- Shared responsibility for social media posts with co-workers.
During the non-sailing season, you will
- Be engaged in whatever routine maintenance tasks the Skipper or the Operations Manager deem necessary for the continued safe use and long-term benefit of the vessel;
- Be available to assist in clerical, administrative or marketing tasks as agreed with the Operations Manager
The vessels will generally be moored at Plymouth Yacht Haven for south coast and Channel voyages. You may need to join the vessel elsewhere in the UK throughout the season.
Pegasus, 2008 gaff-rigged pilot cutter, 72ft, 10 guest berths
Moosk, 1906 gaff yawl, 58ft, 8 guest berths
Johanna Lucretia, 1945 Topsail Schooner, 96ft, 12 guest berths
Skills and attributes:
- Qualified to Yachtmaster Offshore level (preferred but not essential)
- In-date medical qualification e.g. ENG1 or ML5 (essential)
- Prepared to undertake DBS check and further training as required (essential)
- Experience in refitting traditional vessels (preferred but not essential)
- Experience of working with young people (preferred but not essential)
- Able to understand the (sometimes complex) needs of others and moderate working practices and approaches accordingly
- Empathic and compassionate
- A good team player and an excellent communicator
£17,000 – £19,000 P.A dependent on age/experience, with a review in April 2022
Please email a covering letter and CV to [email protected]
If you would like to discuss the post in more detail, please contact Tom Walker, Operations Manager on 07785572680.
Closing date for applications: 30 October 2021
Employment is with The Island Trust’s trading subsidiary Island (Cutter) Ltd.
All voyages are operated by Island (Cutter) Ltd.